Donchenko Elena Victorovna, Grand PhD in Medical sciences, Head of the Clinic of Environmental Medicine, 6 Tipanov Street, 197046 St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, tel.: (812) 309-38-30, www.d-med.pro; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the heading: Original researches
Year: 2020 Volume: 2 Journal number: 3
Article type: scientific and practical
Introduction. The emergence of a new Coronavirus disease (COVID-19), its rapid spread across the planet, has put the health system of most countries in a difficult situation. This deadly virus has already claimed hundreds of thousands of people’s lives. Despite intensive research on the mechanisms of antiviral immunity in recent years, both more studied (hepatitis B and C, influenza A, etc.) and less (herpes types 6-8, hepatitis G, Ebola hemorrhagic fever, etc.), many of its sides have not yet been finally resolved. It is clear that the development of a vaccine and the search for antiviral drugs are important activities, but they require quite a long time. The human body is a single, integral system that contains mechanisms for self-regulation, self-healing and resistance to various infections, including viral ones. The main element of protection, as we know, is the immune system. The human body has another powerful defense system — the antioxidant system. This system plays a major role in the body’s responses to the invasion of foreign molecules and cells, including the implementation of immune protection.
Previously described the results of treatment of various diseases using the human environmental medicine technology — a new direction in medicine that deals with the restoration and maintenance of human health with environmental, natural methods of recovery, taking into account and respecting the laws of the human body (E. V.
Donchenko, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2010).
Aim. To describe a clinical case and justify the effectiveness of using the technology of human environmental medicine — endoecological rehabilitation of the internal environment of the body in the clinically diagnosed Coronavirus disease in a patient.
Materials and methods. Clinical observation and computed tomography of the lungs, clinical blood tests of a patient who arrived from Thailand. The clinical picture of the corresponded to the Coronavirus disease. As a method of treatment, the technology of environmental medicine, the endoecological rehabilitation program of the internal environment of the body, was applied, which included a method of hyperthermic intestinal dialysis in combination with antioxidant, immunomodulating non-specific, antiviral therapy (Patents of the Russian Federation from 13.07.1993: No. 2078555 “Method for removing metabolic products in chronic diseases of internal organs”, No. 2078571 “Method for treating chronic hepatitis”, No. 2066186 “Method for relieving asthma attacks”, E. V. Donchenko, 1993).
Results and discussion. A clinical case is described. In February, the center for environmental medicine observed a patient, a man, 39 years old, 2 weeks after arriving from Thailand, fell ill with a viral disease, was treated independently, but his health remained unsatisfactory: he was concerned about shortness of breath, a strong cough. With these symptoms, he sought medical help. A CT scan of the lungs revealed pneumonia with characteristic signs of “frosted glass” in the images. It should be noted that at that time there were no tests for detection of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19), no quarantine. The patient underwent the endoecological rehabilitation program (E. V. Donchenko, 2008). It included hyperthermic intestinal dialysis, which provides blood thinning, improves microcirculation, and prevents the gluing (sludge syndrome) of red blood cells (E. V. Donchenko, 2018), which is one of the reasons for the severe course of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The Program used antioxidant, immunomodulatory, non- specific, antiviral therapy for 10 days. When repeated CT scans were performed, the effect of “frosted glass” in the lungs was not determined. In January–February, a number of patients who came from Thailand, who also had the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) with similar symptoms and examination results, were successfully treated.
Conclusion. The human environmental medicine technology, including hyperthermic intestinal dialysis in combination with the use of antioxidant, immunomodulatory, non-specific, antiviral therapy, which restores microcirculation, provides the elimination of toxic metabolites from the blood, aimed at increasing the protective forces and self-healing capabilities of the body (E. V. Donchenko, 1997, 2008), is promising, allows, on the one hand, to support the immune system and not get sick with a viral infection, including COVID-19, on the other hand, to provide an already ill person with an easier course of the disease, a more effective, high-quality recovery.
Keywords: antioxidant, antiviral therapy, compensatory erythrocytosis, Coronavirus disease (COVID-19), detoxification, elimination of toxic metabolites, hyperthermic intestinal dialysis, immunomodulating non-specific, microcirculation
Download the full text of the article
1. Statistika rasprostraneniya koronavirusa v Rossii na segodnya, 04 iyunya 2020 [Statistics on the distribution of coronavirus in Russia today, Jule 27, 2020]. — URL: coronavirus-monitor.info›country/Russia (in Russian).
2. Donchenko E.V. (2000) Ekologicheskaya medicina cheloveka [Ecological human medicine]. Tezisy 2-go Mezhdunarodnogo kongressa «Slabye i sverhslabye polya izlucheniya v biologii i medicine» [Abstracts of the 2nd International Congress «Weak and superweak radiation fields in biology and medicine.» (St. Petersburg, 07.07.2000)]. St. Petersburg, p. 141 (in Russian).
3. Donchenko E.V., Shcherbakova I.V., Sleptsov R.V. (2010) Effectiveness of Ecological Human Medicine in the Treatment of Diseases of the Internal Organs. Mezhdunarodnyj medicinskij simpozium «Euromedica-2010» [International Medical Symposium Euromedica-2010]. 03.06.2010 — 04.06.2010, Hannover. — URL: http://www.congress-euromedica. de/abstrakt2010/effectiveness-of-ecological-human- medicine-in-the-treatment-of-diseases-ofthe-internal- organs.html (in Russian).
4. Donchenko E.V. (2003) Endoekologicheskij podhod k lecheniyu hronicheskih zabolevanij [Endoecological approach to the treatment of chronic diseases]. IV vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskoj gosudarstvennoj akademii im. I.I. Mechnikova [IV Bulletin of the St. Petersburg State Medical Academy named after I.I. Mechnikov], pp. 186-188 (in Russian).
5. Donchenko EV. (2008) Garmoniya dushi i tela [The harmony of body and soul]. Ekonomika i medicina [Economics and medicine]. Moscow, no. 8, pp. 28-30 (in Russian).
6. Zheleznikova G.F. (2006) Infekciya i immunitet: strategii obeih storon [Infection and immunity: strategies of both parties] Medicinskaya Immunologiya [Medical immunology], vol.8, no. 5-6, pp. 597-614(in Russian).
7. Kozlov B.A., Borisov A.G., Smirnova S.V., Savchenko A.A. (2009) [Practical aspects of the diagnosis and treatment of immune disorders: a guide for doctors], Novosibirsk: Nauka [Novosibirsk: Science], 274 p. (in Russian).
8. Atlas of Medical Microbiology, Virology and Immunology: A Textbook for Students of Medical Universities / (eds. A.A. Vorobyova, A.S. Bykova), Moscow: Medicinskoe informacionnoe. Agentstvo [Medical information agency], 2003, 236 p. (in Russian).
9. Krylova N.V., Popov A.M., Leonova G.N. (2016) [Antioxidants as potential antiviral drugs for flavivirus infections], Antibiotiki i Himioterapiya [Antibiotics and Chemotherapy], vol. 61 (5-6), pp. 25-31 (in Russian).
10. Kumar S, Misra U.K., Kalita J., Khanna V.K., Khan M.Y. (2009) Imbalance in oxidant/antioxidant system in different brain regions of rat after the infection of Japanese encephalitis virus. Neurochemistry International,, vol. 55, pp. 648—654.
11. Garofalo R.P., Kolli D., Casola A. (2013) Respiratory syncytial virus infection: mechanisms of redox control and novel therapeutic opportunities. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, vol. 18, pp. 186—217.
12. Srivastava R., Kalita J., Khan M.Y., Misra U.K. (2009) Free radical generation by neurons in rat model of Japanese encephalitis. Neurochemical Research, vol. 34, pp. 2141—2146.
13. Giustarini D., Dalle-Donne I., Tsikas D., Rossi R. (2009) Oxidative stress and human diseases: origin, link, measurement, mechanisms, and biomarkers. Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 46, pp. 5—6: 241—281.
14. Reshi M.L, Su Y.-C, Hong J.-R. (2014) RNA viruses: ROS-mediated cell death. The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology; ID 467452, p. 16.
15. Levin Yu. M. (1986) 0snovy lechebnoj limfologii [The basics of therapeutic lymphology]. Moscow: Medicine, 287 p. (in Russian).
16. Levin Yu.M. (1998) Lechenie, ozdorovlenie, profilaktika v usloviyah krizisa ekologii organizma: Novye principy i metody [Treatment, rehabilitation, prevention in a crisis of the ecology of the body: New principles and methods]. Moscow, 232 p. (in Russian).
17. -Levin Yu.M. (2006) Novyj uroven’ lechebnoj i ozdorovitel’noj mediciny [New level of healing and Wellness medicine]. Fundamental’nye issledovaniya [Fundamental research], no. 10, pp. 49-55/ — URL: http:// fundamental-research.ru/ru/article/view?id=5471 (date accessed: 13.06.2020) (in Russian).
18. Sposob normalizacii fiziologicheskogo sostoyaniya po Levinu [Method of normalizing the physiological state at the Levin]. RF Patent No. 2131727, 20.06.1999 (in Russian).
19. Donchenko E.V. (1991) Techenie ishemicheskoj bolezni serdca u bol’nyh opuholyami chelyustno-licevoj oblasti [For ischemic heart disease in patients with tumors of the maxillofacial region] Avtoref. dis. kand. med. nauk [(PhD Thesis)], Leningrad: 1-j Leningradskij medicinskij institut imeni akademika I.P. Pavlov, 26 p. (in Russian).
20. Zaharycheva T.A., Koval’skij Yu.G., Lebed’ko O.A., Mzhel»skaya T.V. (2012) Oksidativnyj stress u bol’nyh kleshchevym encefalitom na Dal’nem Vostoke Rossijskoj Federacii [Oxidative stress in patients with tick-borne encephalitis in the far East of the Russian Federation]. Dal’nevostothnii. zhurnal Infekcionnoi Patoljgii [Far Eastern Journal of Infectious Pathology], vol. 20, pp. 41- 45. (in Russian).
21. Donchenko E.V. (1997) Sindrom samointoksikacii i metody ego lecheniya [Simontacchi Syndrome and its treatment methods]. Tezisy «Kongressa stran Baltii po akupunkture i al’ternativnoj medicine» [Abstracts of the «Congress of Baltic States on acupuncture and alternative medicine.»]. Latvia. Jurmala (in Russian).
22. Donchenko E.V. (2011) Sindrom samointoksikacii i metody ego lecheniya [Influence of physiological processes on mental reactions in patients with chronic diseases of internal organs. New approaches to treatment]. 1-j Mezhdunarodnyj kongress «Novye medicinskie tekhnologii» [1st international Congress «New medical technologies» (08 — 12.07.2001)], p. 239 (in Russian).
23. Gullberg R. C., Steel J. J., Moon S. L., Soltani E., Geiss J. B. (2015) Oxidative stress influences positive strand RNA virus genome synthesis and capping. Virology, no. 475, pp. 219-229.
24. Firuzi O, Miri R, Tavakkoli M, Saso L. (2011) Antioxidant therapy: current status and future prospects. Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 18, pp. 3871—3888.
25. Balakrishnan D, Kandasamy D, Nithyanand P. (2014) A review on antioxidant activity of marine organisms. International Journal of ChemTech Research, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 3431—3436.
26. Popov A.M., Artyukov A., Krivoshapko O.H., Krylova N.In., Leonova G.H., Kozlovskaya, E.P. (2011) Sredstvo, obladayushchee antioksidantnym, kardioprotektornym, protivodiabeticheskim, protivovospalitel’nym, gepatoprotektornym, protivoopuholevym i protivovirusnym dejstviem [Means, possessing antioxidant, cardioprotective, antidiabetic, anti- inflammatory, hepatoprotective, antitumoral and antiviral action]: RF patent, C1 2432959; (in Russian).
27. Lopez-Lazaro M. (2009) Distribution and biological activities of the flavonoid luteolin. Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 31—59.
28. Funakoshi-Tago M, Nakamura K, Tago K, Mashino T., Kasahara T. (2011) Anti-inflammatory activity of structurally related flavonoids, apigenin, luteolin and fisetin. International Immunopharmacology, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 1150—1159.
29. Francisco V., Figueirinha A, Costa G, Liberal J., Lopes M.C., García-Rodríguez C. et al. (2014) Chemical characterization and anti-inflammatory activity of luteolin glycosides isolated from lemongrass. Journal of Functional Foods, no. 10, pp. 436—443.
30. Zhang Y., Chen X., Yang L., Zu Y., Lu Q. (2015) Effects of rosmarinic acid on liver and kidney antioxidant enzymes, lipid peroxidation and tissue ultrastructure in aging mice. Food & Function, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 927—931.
31. Zhang Y.C., Gan F.F., Shelar S.B., Ng K.Y., Chew E.H. (2013) Antioxidant and Nrf2 inducing activities of luteolin, a flavonoid constituent in Ixeris sonchi-folia Hance, provide neuroprotective effects against ischemia- induced cellular injury. Food and Chemical Toxicology, no. 59, pp. 272—280.
32. Braidy N., Matin A., Rossi F., Chinain M., Laurent D., Guillemin G.J. (2014) Neuroprotective effects of rosmarinic acid on ciguatoxin in primary human neurons. Neurotoxicity Research, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 226—234.
33. Kelsey N.A., Wilkins H.M., Linseman D.A. (2010) Nutraceutical antioxidants as novel neuroprotective agents. Molecules, no. 15, pp. 7792—7814.
34. Popov M.A., Krivoshapko O.H., Osipov, A.H., Korepanova E.A. (2014) Antioksidantnaja i membranotropnaja aktivnost\’ rozmarinovoj kisloty [Antioksidantnaja i membranotropnaja aktivnost’ rozmarinovoj kisloti [Antioxidant and membranotropic activity of rosmarinic acids]. Voprosi pitanija [Problems of nutrition], no. 3, pp. 25-31 (in Russian).
35. Astani A., Reichling J., Schnitzler P. (2012) Melissa officinalis extract inhibits attachment of Herpes simplex virus in vitro. Chemotherapy, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 70-77.
36. Xu Z.S., Chou G.X., Wang Z.T. (2014) A new triglycoside of luteolin from leaves Ficus ischnopoda. Natural Product Reports, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 1052-1057.
37. Seliverstov M.S., Lebedeva O.P., Tarasova T.K. (2013) Virus prostogo gerpesa: nekotorye strategii ukloneniya ot sistemy vrozhdennogo protivovirusnogo immuniteta Virus prostogo gerpesa: nekotorye strategii ukloneniya ot sistemy vrozhdennogo protivovirusnogo immuniteta [Herpes simplex Virus: some strategies of evasion from a system of innate antiviral immunity]. Fundamental’nye issledovaniya [Basic research], no. 12, pp. 542-545 (in Russian).
38. Cao H.J., Tan R.R., He R.R., Tang L.P., Wang X.L., Yao N. et al. (2012) Sarcandra glabra extract reduces the susceptibility and severity of influenza in restraint- stressed mice [Sarcandra glabra extract reduces the susceptibility and severity of influenza in restraint- stressed mice]. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, ID 236539, pp. 12.
39. Liu A.L., Liu B, Qin H.L., Lee S.M., Wang Y.T, Du, G.H. (2008) Anti-influenza virus activities of flavonoids from the medicinal plant Elsholtzia rugulosa [Anti-influenza virus activities of flavonoids from the medicinal plant Elsholtzia rugulosa]. Planta Medica, vol. 74, no. 8, pp. 847-851.
40. Donchenko E.V., Kirsanov A.I. (1993) Ispol’zovanie natriya tiosul’fata kak antioksidanta v lechenii IBS u bol’nyh opuholyami chelyustno-licevoj oblasti [The Use of sodium thiosulfate as an antioxidant in the treatment of coronary artery disease in patients with tumors of the maxillofacial region]. Sovremennye tekhnologii i metody v stomatologii: sbornik nauchnyh trudov (Sankt-Peterburg 05.10.1993) [Modern technology and techniques in dentistry: collection of scientific papers (St. Petersburg, 05.10.1993)]. SPb., no. d-23568 (in Russian).
41. Donchenko E.V. (2008) Sredstva i metody ekologicheskoj mediciny v lechenii i profilaktike hronicheskih zabolevanij vnutrennih organov [Means and methods of ecological medicine in the treatment and prevention of chronic diseases of internal organs] (PhD Thesis), SPb., 31 p. (in Russian).
42. Sposob vyvedeniya produktov metabolizma pri hronicheskih zabolevaniyah vnutrennih organov [Method of excretion products of metabolism in chronic diseases of internal organs]: RF patent №2078555 from 13.07 1993 (patent holder E.V. Donchenko) (in Russian).
43. Donchenko E.V. (2018) Kompensatornye eritrocitozy — prichina, TELA infarktov, insul’tov v praktike ekologicheskoj mediciny [Compensatory erythrocytosis is the cause, pulmonary embolism, strokes in the practice of environmental medicine]. Slabye i sverhslabye polya i izlucheniya v biologii i medicine: 8-j Mezhdunarodnyj kongress [Weak and superweak fields and radiation in biology and medicine: 8th International Congress] (09.10.2018, St. Petersburg), p. 169. — URL: www. biophys.ru/archive/congress-2018.pdf#page=169 (in Russian).
44. Donchenko E.V. (2013) Possibilities of ecological medicine in the complex therapy of brainstem insult at a young age: International Medical Symposium «Euromedica-2013». (Hannover, 04.06.2013 — 06.06.2013), рp. 71-73. — URL: http://www.congress-euromedica.de/abstrakt2013/ vascular-atherosclerosis-and-possibilities-of- ecological-human-medicine-inits-treatment.html (in Russian).
45. Method for the relief of bronchial asthma attacks: RF Patent No. 2066186 dated 07.13.1993 (patent holder E.V. Donchenko) (in Russian).
46. Donchenko E.V., Kirsanov A.I. (1992) Ispol’zovanie natriya tiosul’fata kak antioksidanta v lechenii IBS u bol’nyh opuholyami chelyustno-licevoj oblasti [The Use of sodium thiosulfate as an antioxidant in the treatment of coronary heart disease in patients with maxillofacial tumors]. Bioantioksidant: 4-ya Konferenciya [Bioantioxidant: Abstracts of reports 4th Conference] (Moscow, June 2-4, 1992). Moscow, p. 144 (in Russian).
47. Sposob lecheniya hronicheskih gepatitov [A method for the treatment of chronic hepatitis]: RF patent No. 2078571 dated July 13, 1993 (patent holder E.V. Donchenko) (in Russian).
48. Osipov, G.A., Rodionov, G.G. (2013) Mikroekologiya cheloveka v norme i patologii po dannym mass spektrometrii mikrobnyh markerov [Human microecology is normal and pathological according to the mass spectrometry of microbial markers]. Mediko- biologicheskie i social’no-psihologicheskie problemy bezopasnosti v chrezvychajnyh situaciyah [Biomedical and Socio-Psychological safety Problems in Emergency Situations], no. 2, pp. 43-53. — URL: https://doi. org/10.25016/2541-7487-2013-0-2-43-53 (in Russian).
49. Donchenko, E.V. (2018) Zakon bolezni [The law of the disease]. Slabye i sverhslabye polya i izlucheniya v biologii i medicine: Materialy nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii [Weak and superweak fields and radiation in biology and medicine: Materials of a scientific and practical conference] (St. Petersburg, September 10, 2018 — September 14, 2018). St. Petersburg, p. 188. — URL: www.biophys.ru/archive/congress-2018.pdf#page=188 (in Russian).
50. Belotsky S.M., Avtalion R.R. (2008) Vospalenie. Mobilizaciya kletok i klinicheskie effekty [Inflammation. Cell mobilization and clinical effects]. Moscow: BINOM, 240 p. (in Russian).
51. Levin Yu.M., Oife G.R. (2012) Limfotropnaya terapiya i problema blokady limfogennogo metastazirovaniya v onkologii [Lymphotropic therapy and the problem of the blockade of nodal metastasis in Oncology: scientific publication]. Soprovoditel’naya fitoterapiya v onkologii [Accompanying phytotherapy in Oncology]. Moscow, pp. 137-164. ISBN 978-5-7853-1510-5 (in Russian).
52. Levin, Yu.M., Kaznacheev V.P. (1996) Farmakoterapiya v usloviyah endoekopatologii [Pharmacotherapy in the context of endocapillary]. Chelovek i lekarstvo: 3 Ros. nac. Kongreve [Man and medicine: 3 Ros. Nat. Congreve]. Moscow, p. 207 (in Russian).
53. Levin, Yu.M. (2000) Endoekologicheskaya medicina [Endoecological medicine]. Moscow, 343 p. (in Russian).
54. Levine Yu.M., Sviridkina L.P., Toporova S.G., Sviridkina, L.P. (2007) Proryv v endoekologicheskuyu medicinu Novyj uroven’ vrachebnogo myshleniya i effektivnoj terapii [Breakthrough in endoecological medicine a New level of medical thinking and effective therapy]. Moskva: izd-vo «Shcherbinskaya tipografiya» [Moscow: publishing house «Shcherbinsky printing»], vol. 2, p. 344 (in Russian).
55. Milov V.V., Panov I.L., Rodionova O.M., Levin Yu.M., Chizhov A.Ya. [i dr.] (2013) Ispol’zovanie sistemy endoekologicheskoj reabilitacii na kletochno- organizmennom urovne v sanatornom lechenii: nauchnoe izdanie // Tekhnologii zhivyh sistem [The use of the system endoecological rehabilitation at the cellular-organismic level in Spa treatment: scientific publication]. Tekhnologiya zhivih sistem [Living Systems Technology], vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 52-58. ISSN 2070-0997 (in Russian).
56. Roller, O.I. (2018) Kliniko-patogeneticheskie osobennosti endogennoj intoksikacii i ee vosstanovitel’naya bioterapiya pri hronicheskih zabolevaniyah vnutrennih organov [Clinical and pathogenetic features of endogenous intoxication and its restorative biotherapy in chronic diseases of internal organs]. (PhD Thesis): Rolik Ol’ga Ivanovna, Moscow, 46 p. (in Russian).
57. Donchenko E.V. (2009) [Ecological Human Medicine in the Treatment of Intoxication Syndrome in Case of Malignant Tumor]. International medical Symposium «Euromedica-2009». Hannover/ — URL: http://www. congress-euromedica.de/abstrakt2009 (in Russian).