Luidmila A. Kozhushko, PhD in Medical sciences, Head of the department of organization of assisted living, Albrecht Federal Scientific Centre of Rehabilitation of the Disabled, 50 Bestuzhevskaya Street, 195067 St. Petersburg, Russian Federation; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3291-6606.
Irina G. Kantysheva, junior researcher, Albrecht Federal Scientific Centre of Rehabilitation of the Disabled, 50 Bestuzhevskaya Street, 195067 St. Petersburg, Russian Federation; phone: +7(931)348-36-35; e-mail: email@example.com.
In the heading: Original researches
Year: 2022 Volume: 4 Journal number: 3
Article type: scientific and practical
Introduction. The article deals with the development of technologies of assisted living for people with disabilities in Russia in dynamics over three years. The relevance of the study is caused by the increased importance of the problem of forming the foundations of an independent lifestyle for disabled people and deinstitutionalization of the boarding house system in Russia as a whole. One of the solutions to this problem was the introduction of assisted living in the Russian Federation, when people with severe disabilities were able to independently choose their place of residence and social environment, while receiving the necessary assistance from the outside. To assess the effectiveness of measures taken by the Government of the Russian Federation and to plan measures for further improvement of assisted living at the state and regional levels, it is necessary to assess the level and dynamics of technology development, which determined the objectives of this study.
Aim. To assess the level and dynamics of the development of assisted living technologies in various subjects of the Russian Federation. Identify the problems that make it difficult to implement technologies and measures to solve them.
Materials and methods. In the course of the study, indicators reflecting the consistency and effectiveness of the development of assisted living in 85 subjects of the Russian Federation in the dynamics from 2018 to 2021 were studied. The data for analysis are presented by the executive authorities in the field of social protection of the population. Methods of scientific cognition were used to evaluate the results: general scientific (analysis, synthesis, grouping), logical generalization, comparative and statistical analyses.
Results. The positive dynamics in the development of this direction in the country has been revealed, which is expressed in a doubling of the share of subjects involved in the implementation of assisted living and the number of disabled people receiving services in this form of life arrangement. The problems hindering the introduction of technologies are identified, the main of which are: gaps in regulatory legal acts at the federal and regional levels, lack of residential premises for the organization of apartments, lack of funding and lack of trained personnel. Measures to solve the problems are proposed.
Conclusion. The results of the study are of practical importance, as they can be used in planning activities at the federal and regional levels in order to further develop assisted living and its accessibility for people with severe disabilities.
1. Konventsija o pravah invalidov. Prinjata rezoljutsiej 61/106 GA OON 13 dekabrja 2006. [Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Adopted by UNGA resolution 61/106 on December 13, 2006.]. Available at: https://www.un.org/ru/documents/decl_conv/conventions/ disability.shtml. (accessed 05.05.2022). (In Russian).
2. Kats LI, Storozhuk OG, Kats YuM. Formy soprovozhdaemogo prozhivaniya vo Vladimirskoy oblasti. Yuridicheskie aspekty i opyt raboty VOOO ARDI «SVET» po vnedreniyu i razvitiyu soprovozhdaemogo prozhivaniya [Forms of the accompanied residence in the Vladimir region. Legal aspects and experience of VOOO ARDI “SVET” on introduction and development of the accompanied accommodation], Vladimir, 2015. 204 p. (In Russian).
3. Zhizn’ s dostoinstvom: prakticheskoe posobie po soprovozhdaemomu prozhivaniju / Pod red. Tsarjova A.M. M.: Izdatel’stvo «Pero», 2017. [Life with dignity: practical guide to Assisted living. Edited by Tsarev AM. Moscow: Pero Publishing House, 2017]. (In Russian).
4. Kozhushko LA, Gordievskaja EO, Demina ‘EN. Soprovozhdaemoe prozhivanie: opyt, problemy, perspektivy razvitija [Accompanied accommodation: experience, problems, prospects of development]. Fizicheskaja i reabilitatsionnaja meditsina. [Physical and rehabilitation medicine]. 2019;1(2):26-36. (In Russian).
5. Tanzman B. An overview of surveys of mental health consumers’ preferences for housing and support services. Hosp Community Psychiatry. 1993 May;44(5):450-5. doi: 10.1176/ps.44.5.450. PMID: 8509075.
6. Shepherd G. System failure? The problems of reductions in long-stay beds in the UK. Epidemiologia e Psichiatria Sociale. Cambridge University Press; 1998;7(2):127-134. doi:10.1017/S1121189X00007260
7. Travers JL, Wittenberg GF, Gifford DR, Reddy A, McLaughlin MM, Baier RR. Providers’ Perspectives on High-Quality Dementia Care in Long-Term Care. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2022. Sep 1:S1525-8610(22)00568-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2022.07.025.
8. Heumann L. Assisted Living in Public Housing in New Directions in Urban Public Housing. 2017:61-82. doi:10.4324/9781315125220-4.
9. Segal SP, Kofler PL. Sheltered Care Residences: Ten-year Personal Outcomes. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 1993;63(1):80-91.
10. Middelboe T, Mackeprang T, Thalsgaard A, Christiansen PB. A housing support programme for the mentally ill: need profile and satisfaction among users. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 1998: 321-7. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0447.1998.tb10091.x
11. Holmes S, Resnick B, Galik E, Kusmaul N. Developing and Testing a Model of the Assisted Living Environment. Journal of Aging and Environment 2021; 35(1):62-76. doi: 10.1080/26892618.2020.1793439.
12. Chisholm D, Hallam A. Changes to the hospitalcommunity balance of mental health care: economic evidence from two UK studies. Kirkland: Hogrefe & Huber. 2001:210-24.
13. Ob utverzhdenii gosudarstvennoj programmy Rossijskoj Federatsii «Dostupnaja sreda» [On approval of the State Program of the Russian Federation “Accessible Environment”]. Postanovlenie Pravitel’stva RF ot 29.03.2019. N 363 [Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation N 363 of March 29, 2019]. Available at: http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/ View/0001201904080016. (accessed 05.05.2022). (In Russian).
14. Ob utverzhdenii Kontseptsii razvitija v Rossijskoj Federatsii sistemy kompleksnoj reabilitatsii i abilitatsii invalidov, v tom chisle detej-invalidov, na period do 2025 g. [On approval of the Concept of development in the Russian Federation of a system of comprehensive rehabilitation and habilitation of disabled people, including disabled children, for the period up to 2025]. Rasporjazhenie Pravitel’stva RF N 3711-r ot 18.12.2021 [Decree of Government of the Russian Federation N 3711-r of December 12, 2021]. Available at: http://publication. pravo.gov.ru/ Document/View/0001202112280026. (accessed 05.05.2022). (In Russian).
15. Ob opredelenii nauchnyh organizatsij, podvedomstvennyh Ministerstvu truda i sotsial’noj zaschity Rossijskoj Federatsii, v kachestve metodicheskih tsentrov kompleksnoj reabilitatsii i abilitatsii invalidov i detej — invalidov [On the definition of scientific organizations subordinate to the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of the Russian Federation as methodological centers for comprehensive rehabilitation and habilitation of disabled people and disabled children]. Prikaz Mintruda Rossii N 46 ot 29.01.2019 [Order of the Ministry of Labour of Russia N 46 of January 29, 2019]. Available at: https://mintrud.gov.ru/docs/mintrud/orders/1340. (accessed 05.05.2022). (In Russian).