Fedotova Zoya Ivanovna, physician traumatologist-orthopedist of 2nd pediatric trauma and orthopedics department, Albrecht Federal Scientific Centre of Rehabilitation of the Disabled, 50 Bestuzhevskaya Street, 195067 St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, email@example.com, +7(812)4488778, firstname.lastname@example.org, +79500164287.
Pershin Andrei Alexandrovich, MD, PhD in Medical sciences, Head of 2nd pediatric trauma and orthopedics department, Albrecht Federal Scientific Centre of Rehabilitation of the Disabled, 50 Bestuzhevskaya Street, 195067 St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, email@example.com, +7(812)4488778, firstname.lastname@example.org, +79062754529.
In the heading: Original researches
Year: 2020 Volume: 2 Journal number: 2
Article type: scientific and practical
Introduction. Scoliosis leads to 3D trunk deformity that can’t be measured by Х-ray method only. Many different methods have been proposed for evaluating the results of scoliosis treatment, both instrumental and those studying the psychological aspects of a patient’s perception of their health.
Aim. To summarize currently available methods for assessing trunk deformity in scoliosis.
Methodology. A review of modern Russian-language and English-language literature.
Summary. In this paper we provide relevant information on methods for assessing trunk deformity in patients with scoliosis, indicating the main research work, necessary equipment, recognition by the scientific community, accuracy, sensitivity and specificity of methods, and correlation between different methods.
1. Patias P., Grivas Th.B, Kaspiris A., Aggouris C., Drakoutos E. A review of the trunk surface metrics used as Scoliosis and other deformities evaluation indices. – Scoliosis. 2010; 5: 12. doi: 10.1186/1748–7161–5–12.
2. Asher M, Min Lai S, Burton D, Manna B: The reliability and concurrent validity of the scoliosis research society–22 patient questionnaire for idiopathic scoliosis. Spine 2003;28:63–69
3. Asher M, Min Lai S, Burton D, Manna B: Scoliosis research society–22 patient questionnaire: responsiveness to change associated with surgical treatment. Spine 2003;28:70–73
4. Asher M, Min Lai S, Burton D, Manna B Discrimination validity of the scoliosis research society–22 patient questionnaire: relationship to idiopathic scoliosis curve pattern and curve size. 2003;28:74–78
5. Asher MA, Min Lai S, Burton DC. Further development and validation of the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) outcomes instrument. – Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000 Sep 15; 25(18):2381–6.
6. Asher M, Min Lai S, Burton D, Manna B: The Influence of Spine and Trunk Deformity on Preoperative Idiopathic Scoliosis Patients’ Health related Quality of Life Questionnaire Responses. SPINE. 2004, 29 (8): 861–868.
7. Bunnell WP: An objective criterion for scoliosis screening. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1984, 66A (9): 1381–1387.
8. Grivas TB, Vasiliadis ES, Koufopoulos G, Segos D, Triantafyllopoulos G, Mouzakis V: Study of trunk asymmetry in normal children and adolescents. Scoliosis. 2006, 1: 19.
9. Cote P, Kreitz BG, Cassidy JD. A study of the diagnostic accuracy and reliability of the Scoliometer and Adam’s forward bend test. Spine. 1998;23:796. doi: 10.1097/00007632–199804010–00011.
10. Viviani GR, Budgell L, Dok C, Tugwell P: Assessment of accuracy of the scoliosis school screening examination. Am J Public Health. 1984, 74: 497–10.2105/AJPH.74.5.497. 11. Scherl S, Philips W, Torchia M: Clinical, features evaluation and diagnosis of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. UpToDate. 2008.
12. Cassar–Pullicino VN, Eisenstein SM: Imaging in scoliosis: what, why and how? Clin Radiol. 2002, 57: 543
13. Dickson RA, Weinstein SL: Bracing (and screening)–yes or no? J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999, 81: 193.
14. Srinivasalu S, Modi H, SMehta S, Suh S–W, Chen T, Murun T: Cobb Angle Measurement of Scoliosis Using Computer Measurement of Digitally Acquired Radiographs– Intraobserver and Interobserver Variability. Asian Spine Journal. 2008, 2 (2): 90–93.
15. Petit Y, Aubin CE, Labelle H: Three–dimensional imaging for the surgical treatment of idiopathic scoliosis in adolescents. Can J Surg. 2002, 45: 453–458.
16. Bago J, Climent JM, Pineda S, Gilperez C: Further evaluation of the Walter Reed Visual Assessment Scale: correlation with curve pattern and radiological deformity.
Scoliosis. 2007, 2: 12–10.1186/1748–7161–2–12
17. Pineda S, Bago J, Climent JM, Gilperez C: Validity of the Walter Reed Visual Assessment Scale to measure subjective perception of spine deformity in patients with idiopathic scoliosis. Scoliosis. 2006, 1: 18.
18. Sanders JO, Polly DW, Cats–Baril W, Jones JA, Lenke LG, O’Brien MF, Richards BS, Sucato DJ: Analysis of patient and parent assessment of deformity in idiopathic scoliosis using the Walter–Reed Visual Assessment Scale. Spine. 2003, 28: 2158–2163.
19. Weiss HR: Measurement of vertebral rotation: Perdriolle versus Raimondi. Eur Spine J. 1995, 4 (1): 34–38.
20. Kotwicki T, Kinel E, Stryla W, Szulc A: Discrepancy in clinical versus radiological parameters describing deformity due to brace treatment for moderate idiopathic scoliosis. Scoliosis. 2007, 2: 18–10.1186/1748–7161–2–18.
21. Zaina F, Negrini S, Atanasio S: TRACE (Trunk Aesthetic Clinical Evaluation), a routine clinical tool to evaluate aesthetics in scoliosis patients: development from the Aesthetic Index (AI) and repeatability. Scoliosis. 2009, 4: 3.
22. Kotwicki T, Negrini S, Grivas Th, Rigo M, Maruyama T, Durmala J, Zaina F: Methodology of evaluation of morphology of the spine and the trunk in idiopathic scoliosis and other spinal deformities –6thSOSORT consensus paper. Scoliosis. 2009, 4: 26
23. Kotwicki T: Evaluation of scoliosis today: Examination, X–rays and Beyond in Disability & Rehabilitation. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2008, 30 (10): 742–751.
24. Takasaki H: Moiré Topography. Applied Optics. 1970, 9: 1457–1492.
25. Berryman F, Pynsent P, Fairbank J, Disney Sm: A new system for measuring 3D back shape in scoliosis. Eur Spine J. 2008, 17: 663–672.
26. Theologis T, Fairbank JCT, Turner–Smith A, Pantazopoulos Th: Early Detection of Progression in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis by Measurement of Changes in Back Shape With the Integrated Shape Imaging System Scanner. SPINE. 1997, 22 (11): 1223–1227.
27. Thometz J, Liu X, Lyon R, Harris G: Variability in Three– Dimensional Measurements of Back Contour with Raster Stereography in Normal Subjects. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2000, 20 (1): 54
28. Goldberg CJ, Kaliszer M, Moore DP, Fogarty EE, Dowling FE: Surface, Topography Cobb Angles and cosmetic Change in Scoliosis. Spine. 2001, 26 (4): E55–E63.
29. Groves D, Curran P: An accurate, fast and cost effective method for the measurement of body shape and the assessment of spinal deformity. Proceedings of the 6th international symposium on surface topography and spinal deformity. Edited by: Alberti A, Drerup B, Hierholzer E. 1992, Gustav Fischer, Stuttgart.
30. Oxborrow N: Assessing the child with scoliosis: the role of surface topography. Arch Dis Child. 2000, 83: 453–455.
31. Poncet P, Delorme S, Ronsky JL, Dansereau J, Harder J, Clynch G: Reconstruction of laser–scanned 3D torso topography and stereo–radiographical spine and rib– cage geometry in scoliosis. Comp Meth Biomech Biomed Eng. 2000, 4: 59–75.
32. Schmitz A, Gabel H, Weiss HR, Schmitt O: Anthropometric 3D–body scanning in idiopathic scoliosis. Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb. 2002, 140 (6): 632–6.
33. Sciandra J, De JC, Mauroy G, Rolet R, Kohler JP: Accurate and fast non–contact 3D acquisition of the whole trunk. Three–dimensional analysis of spinal deformities. Amsterdam NL, Technology and Informatics 15. Edited by: D’Amico M. 1995, Oxford IOS Press, 81–85.
34. Denton T, Randall F, Deinlein D: The use of instant Moiré Photographs to reduce exposure from scoliosis radiographs. Spine. 1992, 17 (5): 509–512.
35. Grivas T, Karras G, Katrabasas J, Papavasiliou N: Study of posterior trunk surface changes by age and sex using moiré topography. Research into spinal deformities 1. Edited by: Sevastik J, Diab K. 1997, IOS Press, Amsterdam, 331–334. 36. Sahlstrand T: The clinical value of Moiré Topography in the management of scoliosis. Spine. 1986, 11 (5): 409–417.
37. Willner S: Moiré Topography: A method for school screening of scoliosis. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1979, 95: 181–185.
38. Willner S: Moiré Topography for the diagnosis and documentation of scoliosis. Acta Orthop Scand. 1979, 50: 295–302.
39. Sarnadskij V.N., Sadovoj M.A., Fomichev N.G. Sposob komp’yuternoj opticheskoj topografii tela cheloveka i ustrojstvo dlya ego osushchestvleniya. [Method of computer optical topography of the human body and device for its implementation]. Zayavl. 26.08.96. Evrazijskij patent № 000111 – Declared on 26.08.96. Eurasian patent no. 000111 (In Russian).
40. Sarnadskij V.N., Fomichev N.G. Monitoring deformacii pozvonochnika metodom komp’yuternoj opticheskoj topografii [Monitoring of spinal deformity by computer optical topography]. Posobie dlya vrachej Ministerstvo Zdravoohraneniya Rossijskoj Federacii – Manual for doctors of the Ministry of health of the Russian Federation, Novosibirsk, Research Institute of traumatology and orthopedics, 2001, 44 р. (In Russian).
41. Goldberg CJ, Grove D, Moore DP, Fogarty EE, Dowling FE. Surface topography and vectors : A new measure for the three dimensionsal Quantification of scoliotic deformity.
Stud Health Technol Inform 2006;123:449–455
42. Idiopathic scoliosis. Harms research group. Treatment guidelines: P. O. Newton, M. F. O’brien, G. L. Shufflebarger, etc. English translation by N. Sh. Begmuradov, edited by M. D. N. And. Gear.– Publishing house Laboratory of knowledge, 2019. Chapter 21.
43. Bendels G, Klein R, Samini M, Schmitz A: Statistical shape analysis for computer aided spine deformity detection. Journal of WSCG. 2005, 13(2): 57–64.
44. Duong L, Mac–Thiong J–M, Labelle H: Real time non invasive assessment of external trunk geometry during surgical correction of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.
Scoliosis. 2009, 4: 5.
45. Patias P, Stylianidis E, Pateraki M, Chrysanthou G, Contozis C, Zavitsanakis Th: 3D digital photogrammetric reconstructions for scoliosis screening. Proceedings of the ISPRS Com. V Symposium, Dresden, Germany, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. 2006, XXXVI (Part 5): ISSN 1682–1750
46. Turner–Smith A, Harris JD: ISIS – An automated shape measurement and analysis System. Proc of 3rd Int Symposium on Surface Topography and Spinal Deformity, 1984, Sept. 27–28 Edited by: Harris
47. Suzuki N, Inami K, Ono T, Kohno K, Asher M: Analysis of posterior trunk symmetry index (POTSI) in Scoliosis: Part 1. Research into Spinal Deformities 2. Edited by: Stokes IAF. 1999, Amsterdam: IOS Press, 81–4.
48. Jaremko JL, Poncet P, Ronsky J, Harder J, Dansereau J, Labelle H, Zernicke RF: Indices of torso asymmetry related to spinal deformity in scoliosis. Clinical Biomechanics. 2002, 17: 559–568.
49. Nault M–L, Allard P, Hinse S, Le Blanc R, Caron O: Relations Between Standing Stability and Body Posture Parameters in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. SPINE. 2002, 27 (17): 1911–1917.
50. Suzuki N, Ono T, Tezuka M, Kamilshi S: Moire topography and back shape analysis–clinical application. International Symposium on 3–D Scoliotic Deformities.
Edited by: Dansereau J. 1992, Stuttgart: Gustav Fisher Verlag, 124–8.
51. Kotwicki T, Kinel E, Chowanska J, Bodnar–Nanus A: POTSI, Hump Sum and Sum of Rotation – new surface topography parameters for evaluation of scoliosis deformity of the trunk. 2008, Fizjoterapia Polska, Medsportpress, 3 (4): 231–240. Vol. 8
52. Minguez MF, Buendía M, Cibrián RM, Salvador R, Laguía M, Martín A, Gomar F: Quantifier variables of the back surface deformity obtained with a noninvasive structured light method: evaluation of their usefulness in idiopathic scoliosis diagnosis. Eur Spine J. 2007, 16 (1): 73–82.
53. Sinoto A, Ohtsuka Y, Inoue S. In: Proc. of 4th Int. Symposium on Surface Topography and Spinal Deformity. Stokes I, Pekelsky J, Moreland M, editor. Mont S. Marie, Quebec, Gustav Fischer Verlag; 1986. Three dimensional analysis of the effect of brace treatment on idiopathic scoliosis; pp. 113–130. ISBN 0–89574–261–6.
54. Stagnara P: Ambulante orthopaedische behandlung der scheuer–mannschen krankheit im floriden stadium.
Schweiz Med Wschr. 1965, 95: 674.
55. Rushton PR, Grevitt MP. What is the effect of surgery on the quality of life of the adolescent with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis? A review and statistical analysis of the literature.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Apr 20;38(9):786–794.
56. Bago J, Perez–Grueso E J, Les E, et al. Minimal important differences of the SRS–22 Patient Questionnaire following surgical treatment of idiopathic scoliosis. Eur Spine J 2009; 18:1898–904.
57. Helenius L, Diarbakerli E, Grauers A, Lastikka M, Oksanen H, Pajulo O, Löyttyniemi E, Manner T, Gerdhem P, Helenius I. Back Pain and Quality of Life After Surgical Treatment for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis at 5–Year Follow–up: Comparison with Healthy Controls and Patients with Untreated Idiopathic Scoliosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Aug 21;101(16):1460–1466. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.18.01370.